Saturday, March 7, 2009

"I can do something."

"I am only one; but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something;
I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Helen Keller

Helen Keller was born on June 27, 1880 in Tuscumbia, Alabama. She had two half brothers, a sister and a dog. Her father was a storyteller, who loved his family very much. Helen was close to her mother and needed her for almost everything. As a small child, she started running a very high fever. She became very sick leaving her blind and deaf.

When she was six years old, her father took her to Washington D.C., where she was examined by Dr. Alexander Graham Bell who helped the deaf communicate. Bell told Keller's father to write to Perkins Institution for the Blind, so that they could send a teacher who would teach his daughter. The school sent a teacher named Ann Sullivan. Miss Sullivan was very patient and taught her to read Braille. She took Keller to the Horace Mann School for the deaf and there Helen learned to speak English, French, and German. She also went to Wright-Hunason School and Cambridge for Young Ladies. In addition, she went to Radcliff College, and graduated with honors.

Miss Sullivan helped Helen throughout most of her life, and they remained good friends.
Helen was important because she helped the blind and deaf people all over the world. She raised money for the American foundation for the blind. She visited many countries and wrote many books. Helen Keller died at the age of eighty-eight, at her home in Connecticut.
Helen Keller was an inspiration to all the blind and deaf people over the world. Her writings showed her interest in the beauty of things, taken for granted by those who can see and hear.

1 comment:

Steph said...

She was such a remarkable woman and wonderful example. I have so much to be grateful for... to have sight and to be able to hear. I definitely take this for granted. I love the quote too... I can't do everything but I can still do something.
Thank you for sharing.