Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Body & Soul

On February 13th, Jason wrote "My soul, inside of me, is forever grateful for the chance to 'come back' and live a life. My physical body, the vehicle that I'm traveling around in, doesn't always work the way that I'd like it to, but in no way is it 'who I am'."

I really appreciated Jason's keen perspective on our body and soul (or spirit). For most of us, they work in unison. I think it's something those of us who are healthy, take seriously for granted. What an incredible gift and blessing to have our body do what our spirit desires?

When I read this, my thoughts turned to my cousin Carole. Carole Ann Glover was born on April 30, 1941. She was a beautiful young woman with hopes & dreams for her future.

On May 22, 1957, Carole (age 16) and 5 of her friends were out for a pleasure ride on the last day of school. Their car spun out of control and rammed a bridge abutment. All six girls were thrown from the vehicle. One of the passengers, a 15 year old girl, was killed and the other five were injured, three of them seriously. The car virtually disintegrated after hitting the bridge. Both Carole & her friend, who died upon impact, were passengers in the back seat. The young driver of the vehicle, was treated and released.

Carole spent the following 9 months of her life in a coma. She suffered some brain damage that severely impaired her physically, but not mentally. She would eventually be able to communicate to her family that she could remember virtually all the events that happened prior to her accident, with the exception of one year. Her spirit became imprisoned in her damaged body.

After returning home to the care of her parents, she remained in a semi-comatose state for several more months. Over time, with the help of physical therapy, family & friends and the never ending love & devotion of her mother, Wanda, she eventually relearned how to feed herself, communicate verbally (although it was difficult for most of us to understand), and knit beautiful afghans. She spent the rest of her life in a wheelchair.

Carole was blessed with a special ability to inspire & bless others. She had a wonderful attitude, sunny disposition, a great sense of humor and a beautiful smile. She was always appreciative of things done for her and those who visited. Although it was difficult to speak, Carole always said "please" and "thank you". Carole endured to the end and was valiant in building a beautiful monument of her life.

Carole's spirit was finally freed from her body on May 28, 1995 at the age of 54 due to kidney failure.
Carole was a living example to me through my teen years of the importance of driving safely. I shared Carole's story, pictures and newspaper articles with my 15 year old son yesterday. Today he got his learners permit. Interesting timing no doubt!

As I reflect on Carole's life, I can only imagine the challenges Carole endured but I appreciate her choice to make the most of her existence on this earth, and value the gift of life.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Wow, what a remarkable woman. I am so inspired by her story and example. Unfortunately, I am one who takes my health for granted at times... and her story really inspired me to treat my body with more care. And her spirit that was full of love, positive attitude and gratitude is so inspiring. What a beautiful person. Thank you for sharing this story.