Saturday, February 21, 2009

Fond farewell to Larry H. Miller

Larry H. Miller is a man who has done such incredible things and made such a huge impact on our community. Just shortly after he had his legs amputated from type II diabetes, I felt inspired to provide him one one of Jason's blankets of hope & comfort. The tricky part...how would I get it to him? After asking around for a day or two, I was still unsure how to make it happen. While I could guess which hospital he was in, I couldn't use any of my Intermountain connections to find out for sure. After hitting a dead end (or two), I happened to mention my idea to Janet (Jason's mom). She responded, "Oh I know Gail (Larry's wife). I can get it to him." With the help of Janet, and her sister Nancy, the blanket was delivered about 3-4 weeks ago.

I was touched as I listened to his tribute on the television yesterday -- I never really knew HOW MUCH he had done for our community. Most impressive was the 300 college scholarships per year. He wanted to give others the opportunity to further their education so they could give back to their communities. He was a huge proponent of teachers and providing exceptional educational experiences as witnessed with his involvement with the Clark Planetarium.

As I listened to his wife and children in their press conference last night, what impressed me most was how motivated and driven he was to "do good". Gail shared a phrase that Larry lived by which I really loved..."Go about doing good until there is too much good in the world".

Thanks for reading!


1 comment:

Steph said...

It is still hard to believe he is gone. True humanitarian. He will be missed tremendously in the community. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family from us.