Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Christmas Miracle

We have a neighbor who has been somewhat (okay, VERY) anti-social over the years, primarily the husband. The woman has always been very nice. I don't recall this man ever smiling and saying "hello" to us. They are an elderly couple and this sweet woman has Multiple Sclerosis (MS). In the past few months we've seen some subtle changes (for the good) in him as his wife has progressively become more disabled by her illness. Several weeks before Christmas, we felt impressed to give this woman one of Jason's blankets.

With the hustle and bustle of the holidays, the blanket sat on the back of our couch for weeks. Finally, on Christmas Eve I took it down to their home. He met me at the door. I told him that we were thinking of them and wanted them to know that we cared about their family and wanted to offer this special blanket to his wife. I told him briefly about Jason. He was very gracious and thanked me for the blanket.

I left feeling uplifted by this opportunity to show love and kindness toward this man (who has been a little difficult to love) and his sweet wife. The story would have been great had it ended there, but it didn't.

The day after Christmas we had a big snow storm in the Salt Lake Valley. As a gift to my husband (since he always clears the driveway & sidewalks), I went out first thing to snow blow the driveway and walk ways. Within minutes, this neighbor had arrived in front of our house with his snow blower and cleared all our sidewalks. I was stunned...this had NEVER happened before...to anyone in our neighborhood. As soon as I caught his attention (over the roar of the snow blower), I thanked him for his help. He proceeded to express his appreciation for this little blanket I had delivered two days earlier to his wife. He said that his wife's legs get cold as she sits in her wheelchair all day and how much she is enjoying this small soft blanket to stay warm.

My mother has sewn over 50 of these small blankets since the beginning of November. Whenever this man sees my mother, he thanks her for this blanket. She has expressed that this single incident has made it all worth while.

Miracles DO happen! Thanks Jason.

3 comments:

Jason said...

What a great story Judy! That's the kind of stuff that I really look forward to hearing. It makes me feel like I'm not just laying around, doing nothing- even though I'm just laying around, doing nothing :)
Thanks for doing all that you do. Thank your mother for me also- I can't believe that she has sewn 50 already!
Jason

Lucyy. said...

That's so nice! It makes me want to go outside and help someone, even though I'm too lazy to...

BTW, im a random reader, and now follower, of your blog. Since today. :)

The quote in the title made me cry.
But then again I'm totally sensitive.

Lucy
xxx

Anonymous said...

Judy,
That is such a great story. We all just want to feel loved. Thanks for all you do for me!
Julianne