Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hope & Comfort Revisited

Just after sending an email to Jason telling him "Inspired by Jason" is coming to an end because of funding, I arrived home to a note to call Jolene, a woman in our ward. She asked if I was still doing Gifts of Hope and Comfort. She told me about a family in her son’s ward in West Jordan. This family was blessed with 4 children. Three of whom have cancer. They have a 13 year old girl, who doesn’t have cancer, but is having a hard time. An 8 year boy who is in remission, a 4 year old girl who died of cancer just before Christmas, and a 2 ½ boy who is at Primary Children’s Hospital now. She knew we had taken items to Primary Children’s Hospital and wanted to know if we could deliver something to this 2 ½ year old. I told her I still had some items here and would love to give something to each one of the kids. That evening I delivered 2 dogs (1 for each boy) and a blanket for the girl. They will be delivered to the family by her son.

This mother stays at the hospital with her baby boy, the father is home with the other two kids but the 13 year old won’t sleep in her room because she had shared that room with her little sister who died. The family’s home is small and Brett would like to help finish off some rooms in the basement so the 13 year old can have her own room and start fresh. He is seeking assistance for purchasing needed materials.

While these gifts (Junior’s and blankets) may not change their circumstances, maybe they will bring a little hope and comfort from reading Jason's story and knowing that others care.

I was touched that Jolene thought to call me and share this family’s story. I feel honored to be apart of something that may help others get through rough patches in their lives.

This was the "shot in the arm" that I needed to try to keep this all afloat. In an attempt to keep this going, we will be selling the blankets ($30.00) & dogs ($15.00). Proceeds will go towards purchasing dogs and material for the blankets so we can continue to bring "Hope & Comfort" to those who need a lift during times of sickness. If you're interested, you may contact me by email or phone (see contact information on blog).

I understand that some who sent checks had them returned. I am VERY SORRY for this. I have changed the mailing address to my home address. The address listed is correct.

Thank you for your continued support. Together we can do something "extraordinary"!

"If someone listens, or stretches out a hand, or whispers a kind word of encouragement, or attempts to understand, EXTRAORDINARY things begin to happen." - Loretta Girzartis

No comments: